Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken only once. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A), B), C) and D), and decide which is the best answer Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Example: You will hear:
You will read:
A) At thee office.
B) In the waiting room.
C) At the airport.
D) In a restaurant.
From tile conversation we know that the two were talking about some work they had to finish in the evening. This conversation is most likely to have taken place at the office. Therefore, A) "At the office" is the best answer you should choose [A] on the Answer Sheet and mark it with a single line through the centre.
[A] [B] [C] ID]
1. A) Wait for Bob. C) Go and pick Bob up.
B) Go look for Bob. D) Give Bob a phone call.
2. A) Life in the suburbs is lonely. C) She is working in the city.
B) Jobs are easier to find in the city. D) It's less expensive l/ring in the city.
3. A) In a library. C) At a publishing house.
B) At a bookstore. D) In a printing shop.
4. A) They come downstairs. C) They try to think of a solution.
B) The woman find a spare key. D) The woman be more careful next time.
5. A) Sending an e-mail. C) Working in an office.
B) Doing spelling practice. D) Talking on the phone.
6. A) Go shopping with the man. C) Go for a ride around town.
C) Have a picnic. D) Buy something for the picnic.
7. A) The woman got a wrong class permit.
B) The woman misplaced her class permit for biology.
C) The woman arrived for registration too early.
D) The woman missed registration for the biology course.
8. A) The man is planning to visit New York.
B) The woman will stay in New York a long time.
C) The woman likes the weather in New York very much.
D) It's quite cold in New York now.
9. A) The man forgot to put the toys in their suitcase.
B) An old lady took the couple’s suitcase for her own.
C) The couple's suitcase was stolen in the restaurant.
D) The old lady sitting next to the couple likes toys very much.
10. A) She's leaving for Hong Kong with Bill.
B) She's going to say good-bye to Bill.
C) She's going to buy an air ticket.
D) She's flying to Hong Kong.
Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage. you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A),B),C)and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Questions 11 to 13 are based on the passage you have just heard.
11. A) They close the hotel during low seasons.
B) They employ as few workers as possible.
C) They each do jobs they are good at.
D) They hire only retired workers.
12. A) Book-keeping. C) Staff training.
B) Cleaning and washing up. D) Gardening and flower arranging.
13. A) They make their guests feel at home.
B) They provide delicious food.
C) They have their hotel beautifully decorated.
D) They give parties regularly for their visitors.
Questions 14 to 17 are based on the passage you have just heard.
14. A) To cash a cheek. C) To get his prize.
B) To rob the bank. D) To withdraw his deposit.
15. A) A car mechanic. C) A movie actor.
B) A radio announcer. D) A bank employee.
16. A) They called the police. C) They helped him find large bills.
B) They pressed the alarm. D) They let him do what he wanted to.
17. A) He was limited by time and the size of his pockets.
B) The maximum sum allowed was 55,000.
C) Large bills were not within his reach.
D) He was afraid that be would be caught on the spot.
Questions 18 to 20 are based on the passage you have just heard.
18. A) A professional diver. C) A rescuer on the Golden Gate Bridge.
B) A telephone operator. D) A guard on the Golden Gate Bridge.
19. A) Someone on the bridge is being attacked.
B) Someone is threatening to destroy the bridge.
C) Someone on the bridge is attempting to kill himself.
D) Someone has fallen off the bridge.
20. A) Remind them that they have children to take care of.
B) Try to communicate with them first.
C) Call the mother to come fight away.
D) Help them to get out of their misty.